Monday 31 January 2011

What I learned from writing Switchfoot off.

About 4 years ago I wrote Switchfoot off. Let me back up a little for those who don't have a clue what I am talking about. Switchfoot is a band. A very good band actually. Anyway, I wrote them off. Up until then, you see I had tried desperately hard to like them. I had a number of their CD's and really liked one or two songs on each but for some reason I just didn't "get" them. And so I wrote them off and decided to never buy another Switchfoot album again. I'm not sure this was an actual decision that I make consciously but I did make it because somewhere deep inside when their new CD at the time came out I didn't even bother listening and it came and went without me giving it a chance.
Just over 2 years ago now they released, "Hello Hurricane" and I stumbled across the first single by accident. I absolutely love it! In fact I would even say that it is in my all time top ten songs! This made me rethink my decision and I bought 'Hello Hurricane", saw them in concert and I guess I am now a groupie. I am even enjoying their older stuff. It seemed so easy to write the off and give up on them, only to be proved wrong along.

Makes me think how often I do that with people. How often do we "write people off" by labelling them, thinking that they will never change or will always be the same. How often do we miss out on what people have to offer all because we have simply put them in a little box of our making that does not allow us to benefit from who they really are? The fact is that it is probably us who miss out and not them!

I am excited for the new material that Switchfoot are currently recording and that challenges me.

No comments:

Post a Comment