Wednesday 26 January 2011

I'm a faker

"Love from the center of who you are; don’t fake it. Run for dear life from evil; hold on for dear life to good." Romans 12:9 (The Message)

I found out today that I am a faker. It was news to me. I thought that for the most part I was a pretty up front and real person. What you see is what you get (you see the floor in my thinking already don't you, fakers out there?), that is until I read and fully took in Romans 12 today. Never read the Bible if you don't want to be challenged.

It's a tough bit of the Bible because it set such a high standard for those who follow Jesus. But it's verse 9 that caught my attention.

"Love from the center of who you are; don’t fake it. Run for dear life from evil; hold on for dear life to good." Romans 12:9 (The Message)

Did you get it? It tells us to love from the centre of our beings and not to fake it. Centre meaning the part that make us who we are. Its where our passion lies. It's who we are!

And so I am a faker. I don't always love that much!
I don't always give you my full attention. I don't always tell you the whole truth. I don't always let you know how I feel. Sometimes I hide things. Probably more often than I would like to believe.
It's not because I don't want to. Hopefully it's not because I am a bad person. It's because I am human and not perfect.

So my challenge for the day . . . try not to be fake. Does that give me licence to be mean to people for the sake of the truth? I don't think so but it does mean that I will be aware that God requires me to love with everything I have and sometimes that hurts. Reality sucks!

I pledge not to be a faker anymore.

How about you? Have you been faking it? Have you not been loving from the core of who you are?

Maybe it's time to be real?

No comments:

Post a Comment