Thursday 5 January 2012

I more I listen, the more I like!!


A great CD is defined by one simple fact in my opinion. If the more I listen to it, the more I like it, then for me it is defined as a great album. Its a very personal thing I know. But for me what defines a great album or perhaps even a great band isn’t any of the following, though sometimes they do help;

“It’s an artistic masterpiece.”
“It’s risky and goes where no one else has before. It’s unique.”
“Only music in this genre is worth listening to.”
“It’s cool and hip. All the right people are loving it.” Right People is also an opinion thing if you think about it and depends on where you are coming from.

You see for me at the end of the day what makes an album great is that I enjoy it more today than when I first heard it. I like loads of stuff and to be honest there are albums that I have bought that I loved when I first heard them and I listened to them for awhile but what about now? I have fond memories but seldom actually go back to the whole album and enjoy it.
There are however a handful of albums that I always seem to go back to and can’t get enough of. Over the years the little collection has grown but it also seems harder to get into the group.
I find it interesting that I work that way and I have only recently realized it. In the last month I have discovered a band that would never generally be the sort of thing that I would listen to. I just happened on them. I heard their name and though, “mmmmmm . . . that sounds interesting.” So I fired up Spotify and gave them a listen. At first I though it was okay but not really my thing. Soon though I was listening to it all the time, to the point that I splashed out and downloaded an album and over the last month I have grown to love the CD so much that it has become the default in my car. It’s a great album.

The more I listen the more I like!

That concept fascinates me. I wonder if that is a lesson on how I should live? What I mean is do I impact people more significantly the longer they know me or am I a one hit wonder. Don’t get me wrong I am not interested making everyone happy and being a people pleaser. What I am concerned about is how is my impact defined? Does it have longevity and real lasting effect or is it just a nice warm and fuzzy memory?

Perhaps that is a little bit of what the Bible is getting at in 2 Cor 2:15 - 17,

“In fact, God thinks of us as a perfume that brings Christ to everyone. For people who are being saved, this perfume has a sweet smell and leads them to a better life. But for people who are lost, it has a bad smell and leads them to a horrible death. No one really has what it takes to do this work. A lot of people try to get rich from preaching God's message. But we are God's sincere messengers, and by the power of Christ we speak our message with God as our witness.”

* I have purposefully not mentioned names of bands etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment