Monday 7 February 2011

Burnsdown Day #10

Today is Burnsdown Day. My own personal holiday. Not that I ever get to take it off but still it's my day! On 7 Feb I remember one of the most significant events in my life, the day my flat burned down. Depressing right? Not really. You see for me Burnsdown Day is a marker that set a lot of God's plans in my life into motion. Most importantly it is marks the beginning of my relationship with my beautiful wife, Monique. You see when I was homeless, I was taken in by Monique's family and our friendship grew from there. It's not often that someone is thankful for a personal disaster, and believe me I wasn't at the time, but looking back 10 years I am so thankful for that night and would not change it for the world.
So today is the tenth Burnsdown Day. The tradition I keep on Burnsdown Day is to replace one of the CD's that I lost in the fire. It's become a difficult task 10 years down the road, mainly because I have forgotten so many and also because so many of them are not in "print."
So what to do . . . As it's 10 years I think that means I can change the rules a bit. So iTunes is fair game and perhaps I will start to look forward slightly and get something that I have always wanted but have never gotten around to getting.
I guess what I am trying to say is that I think its important in life to look back and see what God has done but there comes a time to use what you have experienced and learned and move forward or in a new direction.

"I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back."
Philippians 3:12 - 14

No comments:

Post a Comment